Tuesday 30 April 2013

For Those Who Are Too Lazy To Hold Up Cards

My first time seeing carded tiles... or tiled cards... and honestly it did open a can of worms...

First, the unmistaken square, green felt table was presented. Then the "mah-jong case".... oh yes, the brown plastic, slightly larger than an A4 sized paper, mah-jong case. Then the tiles were removed from the case, face down... and then very confidently I picked one up... not looking at the tile, I felt the engraving with my thumb, to see if I still have my "touch" (for those who do not know what "the touch" is... it's the ability to tell accurately what the tile is by feeling the engraving with the thumb... yes, it's a skill).

I felt one... something wasn't right... I thought "dang, I'm losing my touch".... Again.... nothing... I turned it around... and saw a 2 of clubs.... A 2 OF CLUBS!

For a moment, I kid you  not, time just stood still for a couple of seconds for my brain to adjust... hang on... they don't belong on a mah-jong tile... then I opened up a few more. Yup, there they were, all cards... It felt wrong...

When have card players gone from too lazy to do housework and just sit and play cards, to, too lazy to even hold cards up? I jest.

Can you imagine, seeing 4 grownups playing "mah-jong" and then looking closely, they're just playing "angkat turn" (Go-fish)? Tough on the outside......

I always akin tiles to "mah-jong" cos theoretically, now, thinking about it, "Mahjong" is the name of the game... so I can't call them that anymore, can I? What do I call them now? I am so confused!

No comments: